(KWQC) – No matter if you appreciate tunes, artwork, film, or comedy, the 2021 Alternating Currents Festival has something for you.
The festival, which operates by means of Sunday, will showcase much more than 120 reside performances, movie screenings, and artwork-similar situations at 30 venues across Davenport, Rock Island, and Moline.
“Designed to showcase the vivid culture of our downtown places, the annual party functions a selection of indoor and out of doors functions together with musical functions, film screenings, a comedy lineup, and several artwork-encouraged activities,” organizers explained in a media release.
Alternating Currents options a lot more than 60 nationwide, regional and regional functions over the 4-working day party at spots across Downtown Quad Metropolitan areas including 25 spots in downtown Davenport.
The competition kicks off Thursday with a mural unveiling from 3:45 to 4:45 p.m. at 313 20th St., Rock Island.
A blank alleyway wall is remaining reworked into a gorgeous mural by Rock Island Substantial School student Riley Jones in collaboration with qualified muralists Dana Harrison, whose artist name is Limone, and Brandon Warner.
The mural is an adaptation of Jones’ artwork, at first titled “Black Pleasure,” that was competitively selected by U.S. Rep. Cheri Bustos and is displayed at the U.S. Capitol this summertime. The venture is component of a community art initiative of the Quad Towns Chamber and Quad City Arts.
Now in its fourth year, Alternating Currents is arranged by the Downtown Davenport Partnership, a division of the Quad Cities Chamber, in collaboration with regional talent throughout our region’s creative neighborhood.
“Alternating Currents provides us an option to showcase the corporations and vivid cultures of our Downtown Quad Metropolitan areas firms when at the same time, it lets us to offer four days of terrific enjoyment, a great deal of it by community talent,” Jason Gilliland, Director of Activities for DDP, said.
All Alternating Currents performances are free to go to. Website visitors are encouraged to journey from one venue to the subsequent, which are simply identifiable by their yellow Alternating Currents location signage.
For the first time, Alternating Currents also will function functions at numerous downtown Rock Island venues as well as at Bass Avenue Landing in Moline.
New this year are complimentary pedi-cab rides are staying offered to support transportation pageant-goers from one location to the upcoming. Pedi-cabs will be in downtown Rock Island on Thursday and downtown Davenport on Friday and Saturday.
“The best way to navigate the festival is by means of the Alternating Currents’ new app,” Gilliland said. “Users can craft their very own festival knowledge and routine that is special. Working with the app, they can ‘favorite’ an artist, click to locate their efficiency time and locale, as properly as use the map to find all of the taking part venues.”
Check out alternatingcurrentsqc.com to obtain the application.
The festival’s indoor and out of doors venues deliver place for attendees to preserve a risk-free distance.
Here’s a seem at some of the Alternating Currents’ highlights:
Stay Tunes highlights
- Blues band Avey Grouws Band, 7 p.m., Thursday, Bass Avenue Landing, Moline.
- Squonk Opera!, a group of interdisciplinary carrying out artists from Pittsburgh, will give three performances: 2 to 2:30 p.m. and 6 to 6:30 p.m., Friday, and 10 and 10:30 a.m,, Saturday, at the Davenport Skybridge parking lot. A Fulfill & Greet with Squonk will be from 6:30 and 8:30 p.m., Thursday, at Quad Metropolis Arts, Rock Island.
- Punk band Radkey returns to Alternating Currents for their second visual appearance immediately after just ending a leg with the Foo Fighters 26th-anniversary tour 9:15 and 10 p.m., Saturday, at Lopiez’s 2nd Anniversary Celebration, Davenport.
- QC COLLABS, a mixed media project consisting of an album that includes area expertise, will be at 7 and 7:45 p.m., Saturday, River Audio Experience (RME) Courtyard, Davenport. The venture is led by Josh Graves of Underground Economic climate, a collaborative hub at the RME for creatives and business owners.
- Mural unveiling/ceremony, 3:45 and 4:45 p.m., Thursday, in the alleyway by 313 20th St., Rock Island. The function will honor younger artist Riley Jones and aspect music by DJ Cat Dady, a spoken phrase functionality by Aubs & Wes Julien, and remarks from other particular company.
- Gallery opening of Mike Leinhauser and Judith Eastburn Exhibit, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Thursday at Quad Town Arts, Rock Island. The twin show options a selection of black and white portraits, and landscapes by the regional artists: Leinhauser, of Bettendorf, and Eastburn, Des Moines. The event also features a reception for the 2nd Ave. Window Exhibit featuring functions by Zay Williams of Zay Creatives, Davenport.
- Crafty Cat Indie Art Pageant, an indoor reasonable with more than 130 distributors, from 5 to 8 p.m., Friday, and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, at the Davenport RiverCenter.
- Fulfill & Greet with Illinois Film Business office, 5 to 7 p.m., Thursday, at Rock Island Vacation Inn. Show up at a reception with Peter Hawley, the movie office’s director, and Ted Reilly, founder and government director of Chicago Media Angels.
- Musician William Campbell, who wrote the unique rating for the Oscar-nominated film Starvation Ward, will complete on piano at 5:30 p.m., Thursday, and 1:30 p.m., Saturday, at the Figge Artwork Museum, Davenport. Campbell, a St. Ambrose University professor, also will take part in a Q & A at 4 p.m., Saturday, at the Figge.
- The Quad Towns River Bandits will exhibit The Sandlot, at 7:30 p.m., Thursday, at Modern Woodmen Park, Davenport.
- Alternating Currents Movie Pageant will showcase a wide range of original movies Thursday-Sunday in 3 diverse programs: loved ones-pleasant, experienced audiences, and experimental. Each software will host a selection of showings on several days. The family-pleasant lineup, which will be shown at Figge Artwork Museum and Mockingbird on Main, both in Davenport, incorporates the exhibiting of Sea Dogs, an animated small created by Alternating Currents Comedian Spencer Louks.
- Comedy highlights
- Stand-up comedian Nick Thune from Los Angeles, will perform 9 to 10 p.m., Thursday, at Raccoon Motel, Davenport.
- The Very best of the Speakeasy Burlesque and Comedy Show is 8 to 10 p.m., Thursday, at Circa ‘21 Supper Playhouse, Rock Island. Must be 18 or older.
- A panel discussion hosted by Plan Manufacturing unit on Comedy & Terminate Lifestyle is from 3 to 4 p.m., Saturday, Town Church, Davenport.
“Fun stuff” highlights
- Grand opening of The Place, a new inclusive area and dwell songs venue for Quad Cities creatives, 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday, 1611 2nd Ave., Rock Island. Musical friends M3 and Chicago-based mostly artist AMI will accomplish from 5 to 7 p.m. adopted by Large Male G and the E$ at 8 p.m.
- Lopiez 2nd Anniversary, Friday and Saturday, featuring reside musical performances including headliner Radkey at 9:15 p.m. Saturday. Other festivities include a sideshow, drag exhibit and an exhibition by SCW Professional Wrestling from 8:15 to 9:15 p.m., Saturday.
- Silent Disco with DJ’s CupCaine, DollaMilite and Earth 93.9. Delight in the nightclub vibe of the Skybridge’s shade-shifting lights as a few DJs battle it out, 9 to 11 p.m., Friday and Saturday, Davenport Skybridge. Attendees have to be 18 or older.
Check out alternatingcurrentsqc.com for much more info about the pageant and its comprehensive line-up.
Organizers say they are intently checking latest rules from the Centers for Disorder Management and Avoidance and nearby overall health departments pertaining to COVID-19 in the location.
“As in any public place in which people are present, there is an inherent risk of publicity to COVID-19,” organizers explained. “We stimulate attendees to wear masks indoors in all general public areas and take part in festival actions that healthy your stage of comfort. Every single personal institution will establish the COVID-19 rules for its organization.”
Copyright 2021 KWQC. All legal rights reserved.